2/11/2019 10:38:36 AM
FAITH: Held by God
Posted under: FAITH
Printer Friendly Version
Yesterday found me at Southern Alberta Bible Camp with our middle school students. And while I was not worshipping with you, God was at work, and today as you all heard about the truth of being Held by God, our middle school students heard that same thing all weekend long! How cool that God orchestrated that!
We are held by God, we belong to him. Just read the first question and answer of the Heidelberg Catechism and that is made crystal clear! Our salvation is a sure thing, God is true to his word. Yet even in this assurance we wander, we think our way is best. But God continues to pursue us, to bring us home, because he created us and we are his!
Rest assured this week you cannot lose your salvation- that’s not how God operates! Give Him thanks every day for his unfailing love, his promises that are true, and know that God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good.
ICYMI: Watch Sermon Online
Your right hand will hold me fast. Psalm 139:10b NIV
QUESTIONS TO THINK ABOUT AS YOU READ:
- Monday: Read Romans 8:28-30. As you read reflect on the words predestined, called, justified and glorified. Pastor Paul mentioned these words are describing us - how does that make you feel? Happy? In awe? Shocked?
- Tuesday: Read the full story Pastor Paul talked about from Exodus 32 about Moses, Aaron, the Israelites and the golden calf. Pay close attention when you read verses 11-14, when Moses speaks with God about his promises.
- Wednesday: Read Romans 8:31-39. As you read pay close attention to verses 38-39. Nothing can separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. What things or thoughts attempt to convince you that you can be separated from God’s love? Bring those things to God in prayer today, and rest in the promise that nothing can separate you from His love.
- Thursday: Read Psalm 23. As you read, read it slowly and breathe deeply in the promises made in this text. Maybe even try some meditation while reading the passage.
- Friday: Read Psalm 62. This is another great meditating Psalm. Read the words and as you do repeat them to yourself again and again. Maybe try writing them down on a piece of paper and putting on your bathroom mirror.
- Saturday: In preparation for Sunday read the first part of the text we will be looking at Luke 6:17-22. As you read reflect on the words. What might God be preparing your heart to hear tomorrow? Pray for the worship team today as they prepare to lead us in song.
- Sunday: Before coming to church read the second part of our text Luke 6:23-26. As you read ask God to prepare your heart for worship today. Pray for Pastor Paul as he preaches today, ask that the Holy Spirit will work in the hearts and minds of all attending church today.
Read the fifth main point of doctrine as explained in the Canons of Dort.
*Note: You are encouraged to read the Canons as they were written. You may have noticed that the order is different from FAITH. To read the points in FAITH order, it would be 3, 1, 2, 4, 5.
I mentioned meditation in the above readings, especially when you were reading in the Psalms. Check out this Banner article about a church doing that very thing through the practice of yoga.
Please login to reply.